Monday, July 3, 2017

My Cards and Tags: Patriotic Tag using Tim Holtz Star Cluster Die

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog theme is, "Red, White and/or Blue." We're also highlighting that brand we all know and love: Sizzix!  I made a patriotic tag using a few of my favorite Sizzix dies and some great paper from Authentique and Tim Holtz.




I started off with a tag I cut using the Sizzix Tag Collection dies and a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media paper.  I gathered red, white and blue patterned paper from Tim Holtz and Authentique.



I glued strips of the patterned paper onto my tag and hit the edges hard with some brown and black inks.



Next I cut some stars using blue paper and the Star Cluster Edge die.  I added some blue, black and brown ink so it would match the tone of the rest of the tag.



I glued the stars to the side of my tag.



I found this great retro girl image from Authentique's Saucy collection, so I cut her out, along with a Tim Holtz clock, to add to my tag.  I stamped the word "loyal" with a Dina Wakley stamp set and typed out "In God We Trust" with my Memory makers typewriter.



I put all of these elements together and wah-la!  My tag was done.  I topped it with a piece of chunky twine from Doodlebug, which I inked with brown to make it go along with my vintage vibe.


These are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

I can't wait to see how you incorporate red, white and/or blue into your projects this week! Be sure to upload them to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!



20 comments:

  1. Fantastic tag Andrea! I love the mix of papers you used to build up the background and the star border. The focal image is perfect here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I lobe the stripped background and a bold touch of brown and black on the edges. The stars are great here and the image is stunning. Love this retro look. Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the beautiful background you created, Andrea. Such a fabulous tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect retro styling, with that added touch of Ockey magic - I love this!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the background you created on your tag and the retro design, Andrea. It's awesome!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a girl with attitude! I love how you create your background with the paper strips, Andrea! Cool retro tag and definitely channeling a vintage vibe!! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how I love everything about this tag Andrea!! A girl after my own heart with the vintage image alone:)
    And thanks so much for your very kind and thoughtful comments on my blog-so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow awesome tag. Love the paper and dies. Great colors and so vintage looking. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE all of your wonderful elements that you have creatively arranged! A perfect post to read for the 4th of July! Love that image and those stars!!! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the retro girl to complement the papers you layered in this tag! Very patriotic and fun!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the combination of papers you've used, they really create such a wonderful background for your tag and I adore the retro feel you've captured on this project...it's just perfect, Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Andrea...love the retro look you created...such a great idea to use strips of papers...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved watching your creative flow! It is so interesting how people work to create their own project! Thank you for sharing it!
    Your tag is awesome, reminds me of the 50s! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great vintage vibe with such effective light/dark contrasts! And thank-you for the welcome to this month's spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mix of papers you used is fabulous! youare so imaginative and the retro feeling of your work is amazing! I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This tag is so pretty, Andrea! Love your style with the darker colors a lot! The lady is so cool, and love all the layers! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how you've put the papers together and those die cut hearts are gorgeous. Great vintage tag ... tying it altogether with the brown ink. Amazing inspiration and amazing tag...Thank you x Also wanted to say thank you for kindly stopping by my blog and leaving such kind and generous comments, I really do appreciate it and glad you had lived in London and gathered the memories x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also meant to say thank you for the step by step, really enjoyed it and very interested in how you made your tag x

    ReplyDelete