Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Other Creations: CKCB Challenge- Beatrix Potter Book Journal

Welcome to another fantastic challenge from CKCB!  Our challenge this month was to make a project inspired by our love for childrens' books.  The hardest thing about this challenge for me was to try and narrow it down from so many possibilities!  I was lucky to have a mom who read to me and I've always been enthralled by literature.  And the artwork!!  I am a forever fan of Richard Scarry and Maurice Sendak.  I also adore the retro artwork from the Little Golden Books.  So much good out there!

For my project, I decided to pay homage to Beatrix Potter.  The tale of Peter Rabbit has a special place in my heart, so I absolutely had to buy this amazing piece of fabric I found!  Using it as my focal point, I made a collaged cover for a book journal where I write down what I've read and whether or not I liked it.



I used some Gesso  and pale blue acrylic paint to outline the edges of the fabric and to add some color to the Heidi Swapp paper I sewed it onto.  I also cut out a "rabbit" definition from a vintage childrens' dictionary and cut it into a file tab shape. 

Here's a close-up of that gorgeous fabric!
 

I also added a piece of scalloped lace to the bottom and attached some fabric scraps on the side.


To finish it off, I adhered everything to background paper from Basic Grey.


I must say that this has been one of my absolute favorite CKCB challenges.  Thanks to my fellow Design Team members for never ceasing to inspire!